Thursday 10 January 2013

Dinky's not so good day at school...

Dinky got up for school just fine, had breakfast, brushed her teeth, got dressed, and was really excited to wear her new trainers to school. I told her she would have to change her into her school shoes once we got there. She was fine.
We got to the school and she wouldn't change her shoes. Normally it would be a big argument and she would lash out but give in eventually. I didn't want to have the big argument with her. I especially didn't want her lashing out with her hand wrapped in a bandage for school. She refused point blank to change her shoes. I told her she would have to tell Mrs. N that she was being naughty and wouldn't put her school shoes on. She said "fine I'll tell mrs. N that I want to wear my new trainers and that I don't want to wear my shoes!"
So dinky tells mrs. N just that. The teacher tried to get dinky to put her shoes on. Nope, she wasn't having any of it. I told her I would have made dinky put them on but I didn't want to battle with her this morning. The teacher seemed ok with it and said she would deal with it.
Dinky got her phonics book we were doing 'th' today. She did ok. It was harder for her with the bandage on her right hand. I reminded the teacher that dinky was not to get her hand wet.
I went to leave but dinky didn't want me to go. She grabbed hold of my leg and wouldn't let go. I bent down to her level for a hug and she wrapped her arms around my neck. I could not get her off. I tried to get miss C the TA but dinky didn't want to go with her. If mrs. H had of been there dinky would have gone with her, possibly with a little protesting. Miss. C just doesn't have the same connection with the kids. I tried to stand up but dinky's arms were wrapped tight round my neck, so I picked her up and gave her a big cuddle and a kiss. I tried to put her down but she wouldn't have any of it. She started crying and I didn't know what to do. Mrs. N was busy with another screaming child and Miss. C was getting nowhere. Miss. C told dinky that we should go see Mrs. B, the school nurse. So we went to go give her dinky's antibiotics. It took both Mrs. B and her assistant to get dinky off me and I had to walk away from my screaming child.
There is nothing more heartbreaking than walking away from your child who is screaming for you. When I got home I got a call from Mrs. B. it took a little while but they managed to calm dinky down, and she was settled in the classroom by 10am.

I was so tired I fell asleep at 11am and got up at 1pm. I went to the shops before getting to the school. I wanted to see the deputy head to find out if they had heard anything from integrated services yet, but she was busy. So I went to get dinky's medicine and waited for her to come out.

As soon as she got to me I checked her hand and it was soaking wet! One thing! I only asked them to do one thing! "please make sure dinky doesn't get her hand wet because it increases the risk of infection". It was a good thing I brought a spare dressing with me!
She had been ok, but 'very defiant and challenging'. Great.
She wasn't too bad on the way home. Very clingy, but ok. I checked the kitchen for any post, nothing. I'm hoping the integrated services come through soon.

I better get off, dinky is watching jungle book, leaning on my legs as I type. I have to do her dinner, and work out how the hell I'm going to bath her and make sure she doesn't get her hand wet. Maybe a shower?





No comments:

Post a Comment