Monday 21 January 2013

Today just has not been my day!!!

Dinky woke me up at 5.45am. I had no idea if the school was open or not, I decided to get dinky ready in time just in case it was open. I found out at 7am it was. So we left for school. A little messing about in the snow, but nothing too bad from dinky and all was well.
We got to school, she changed her trousers and shoes in the SEN room, very minor messing about, no issues. Phonics was a bit of a nightmare, but it wasn't a chaotic as normal as not many people came at 8.30. Dinky didn't run off, but was vey easily distracted by everyone else. She made quite a bit of noise and the teacher came over and told her to be quiet as other children were working. It was at that point that I realised there was no TA and no staff member to greet dinky. I let the teacher I know I was leaving and that dinky was playing with her friend. I went to find one of the other mums but she was still doing phonics with her daughter so I went to check on dinky as the teacher had 29 other kids to look after. Through the window I could see dinky and 2 other kids messing about at the door the other end of the classroom. I kept watching and dinky could have gone anywhere and no one would have been any the wiser. The teacher saw me and came out, at that point the deputy head was with dinky. I said I was fine, I was waiting for another parent. I went back over to the other classroom and saw that both TA's were in that class. I was a little confused because it was in the risk assessment I signed just last week that dinky is to be greeted by a member of staff.
When the other mum came out, we went down to the bus stop. I found out that the teacher hadn't arrived so they put the two TA's in that class. The journey to the bus stop was 60% the other mum moaning that the school was open, 20% her moaning about her daughter not eating breakfast because she was watching tv and 20% me trying to discuss dinky with no avail.
I went home, phoned the council (my dad wants to move up here, so wanted to find out if he was eligible for housing benefit as it is more expensive here than it is where he is), he is eligible for a 1 bedroom. I phoned the county council about travel to school when dinky turns 5, the person I needed to speak to was in a meeting. I logged onto the housing website and would have been second on the list at 10 am but it was the wrong area.
I got bored and decided to go to the library to find any books to deal with dinky. On the way there, I popped into the pharmacy as I had completely ran out of nicorette lozenges (which are fantastic!). I had gone on friday but apparently they only had one person able to 'administer the cessation medication' and she happened to be out at that point. She doesn't work Saturdays and then I found today she doesn't work Monday's either. I was slightly annoyed that the only person who was qualified to run the cessation service was not a full time member of staff! Helpful.... Not! I tried to explain that I was quite frustrated that there was only one person able to run it, what if she was sick for two weeks, the service would presumably be cancelled? So much for 'pledging our hearts to keep yours healthy'! So I ended up paying for the lozenges.
I got a book out called 'how to calm a challenging child'. It's not a bad book. Most of it is common sense. Unfortunately it isn't all that common though! If you can get past the putting your own frustration and agenda to one side and think of things from the child's perspective then it's all good... Well, thanks captain obvious. I think most parents have problems with not snapping at children in certain circumstances for instance...
When they suddenly become incapable of putting on their own socks on the ONE day when you are running behind in the morning, and you cant do it yourself as you are busy trying to find your keys that you later find they have hidden in their toy box!
when you get an important phone call and they decide that it is precisely the moment when you get into a flow of conversation that they desperately need to talk to you, need to know who is on the phone, need food, need a drink or just need your undivided attention.
When you take them to the park and give them time warnings, yet when it is time to go, they scream like they are being murdered and run like they are being chased by the boogeyman!
I could go on, but wont! There are a few things I will try to incorporate in my discipline, how successful they will be, I have no idea.
I was going to get dinky and bumped into the childminder. She had found someone to have dinky tomorrow, dinky knows her, I however, do not. So I walked with her and waited to meet the other minder. She was late so I went to get dinky. I didn't get a chance to talk to the teacher as I still had to meet the person picking dinky up. I ended up watching my friends son, and the childminders son while she looked for one of the other kids who had managed to get lost among the sea of children in the playground.
It was at that point I got a call from the county council regarding the travel to school. I explained that the hostel was the opposite end to town to dinky's school and when she turns 5 it will cost me £75 a month to keep her in school. The response was less than helpful. Not only do we not qualify because dinky doesn't go to the nearest school to where we live but they won't offer assistance to those in temporary addresses. So I had dinky messing about in the snow, I had my friend's autistic son trying to play in the snow but I had hold of his wrist reins, the childminder's son was throwing snowballs at the teachers cars and I was scanning for the 4 year old that had gotten herself lost in the crowd, and the guy on the other end of the phone was being less than helpful, so as politely as I could I ended the call whilst conveying my disgust at the lack of help he was offering. Once I put the phone down I realised how much of a muppet he was! Being the schools transport something or other for the area, you would think he would have more sense than to phone at 3pm, which he should be aware is home time for the majority of primary schools in the area!
I met the childminder having dinky. She seemed really nice and dinky recognised her so I feel a little better about leaving her there.
We got the bus and I managed to keep dinky occupied by reading the two books in her book bag. She wasn't too interested in both of them but still liked me reading. Walking home was a bit of a nightmare as she wouldn't wear her hat or her gloves. the gloves was more of an issue as she felt the need to brush the snow with her hands and squeeze it between her fingers. Her hands were red raw but she didn't complain about them.
We got home and I went for the lozenges I begrudgingly paid for and was fiddling with the box only to find the bloody things were out of date by 3 months!
I completely forgot to write the petition header on a work issue for my dad so did that while dinky had dinner.
Dinky decided she wasn't going to go to sleep because she wasn't tired. Then 1 hour later she asked me what my phone number was, she got really agitated and insistent that she had to have it that instant. I was quite concerned by how upset she was getting about it. So I wrote it down and we agreed I would put it in her book bag right there and then. She wanted her book bag next to her bed, again very insistent. She seemed much happier knowing it was there.
I spoke to my dad and told him what the council said and gave him his petition header. I told him about dinky and the morning. At that point I got quite annoyed because I realised that before the deputy head came out dinky could have gone anywhere so much for 'Staff to be extra vigilant when the gates are unlocked between 8:40am and 9:30am'. No one would have been any the wiser as the part 'dinky will be greeted by a member of staff to ensure they know when she has arrived in the mornings.' was not adhered to either. I'm guessing if I approached them about it they would say that the teacher knew she had arrived (despite the fact she had no idea that the deputy was taking to her in the corridoor outside the classroom.) and that the deputy had spoken to her so was vigilant. I'm guessing if dinky hadn't have been messing about and quietly run off she could have been anywhere. Now I know how they lost her for 45 minutes in the first term!
Fair enough dinky shouldnt be behaving like that, but there is nothing I can do from home, I also can not reinforce the schools position if I had only been told once that she had gone missing yet was told a week ago that she had done it 'on numerous occassions'!

Well at least I haven't had a chance to really think about tomorrow!

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day, well at least before 3.40pm, I don't think tomorrows appointment could be included in any good day.

So until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment